Wonderful Amy from the guild taught us double knitting at the last month meeting. We did this cute light bulb motif on big needles to make a potholder. I think I was experimenting with the yarn dominance so you can see the bottom of my potholder doesn't look very good. In fact, you can see some of the background color in the second photo:
My friend Pam later tells me it's a feature of Armenian knitting to have a bit of the color in the back to show through. What created a bit of the color showing through was me using the background on the right side as the dominating yarn so both yarn keeps on crossing each other every other stitch.
I casted on for another one and this was an exciting project because it's the first time my husband wanted me to make something for him. His work uses the light bulb as an indicator on how things are going so I made one with red and green. This time the background area worked out better and the fabric actually separates.