Saturday, April 29, 2006

Cherry Blossom Shawl

Blocking is magic!

Yay, it's done. I have to admit it's the first time I am blocking. I never made anything that couldn't get away without blocking. After this, I am sold! I mean, yes, blocking is necessary to bring out the beauty of mohair, but I am sure it'll just give everything else a better finish.


































The edging process: Since all 300+ stitches can fit in the 24in circular needle so I was too cheap to spend money on a longer one. Therefore the shawl looked like a huge fuzzy flower budd the time. When the edging started, it looked like a flower in bloom.














Below you can see the difference between knited edge and unfinished edge. The top is the unfinished side and the bottom is the finished edging. Isn't the difference like day and night?














4/15/06 Update

Okay, edging is harder then I thought. Maybe because it's the first time for me to be doing edging. Maybe it's also because I got so good (and fast) at doing the Chart C repeats (had to do 12 time!) so switching to edging is a big pace change. I just need to tell myself to be patient and stick with it. I only have to go around the shawl once, not 12x6=72 rounds like Chart C.

Hopefully I can block it soon and finish it in time for the oakland conference...

I am in my own heaven right now. Knitting while listening to Met Opera's live broadcast. One of my favorite tenor, Juan Diego Florez, is performing. During intermission they are talking about wonderful historic recordings, live and studio, and comparing them. The only thing that can make this more perfect is if it's all taking place in my own condo in the village (there's only one village for me, the one in NY) while dog-sitting Lily and Petunia.

03/06/2006 Update

The Cheery Blossom Shawl from the Interweave Knits Spring 2002. The center start is just not very good. I try the crochet start in Kinzel book, but the needles just got a bit twisted. This was also before Lew showed us how to do a good start at Stitches West. I wanted to be working on this shawl at Stitches since we'll be helping at Lacy Knitter's Guild. Good thing it's mohair so the center will be fuzzy.

Start Date: Two weeks before Stitches West
Yarn and needle: patterned called for.

Just moved it from dpn to circular. I didn't have the 16" and was too edger to move to circular so for a while I was knittin on the 24" and one dpn.














Finished the chart B repeats.














Now it's time to do chart C 12 tmes! I think we are half way done now. 6 more repeats to go.














Close up of the pattern. Looks okay. Blocking should make it prettier too.














Now I am taking a break. Learning and knitting socks! I know I need to get back to this...but...just let me get a pair of socks done....

1 comment:

Ben said...

sweet lookin' shawls! keep up the good work!